Tuesday 19 July 2011

Creamy coconut rice pudding with caramelised pineapple


I know that rice pudding brings back memories of horrible school dinners for most people, but not me as I loved my school lunches; I always used to spend the morning fantasising about what to have for lunch, I guess I still do that even now. This rice pudding was a concoction of mine as I had a ripe pineapple that needed using up, so I thought I could make the old classic with a tropical twist. 

The rice pudding actually came out pretty well, you could definitely taste the coconut, and I think that the pineapple was the finishing touch otherwise the rice pudding would be a bit bland. When I helped myself to a mouthful of the warm creamy coconut rice and sweet pineapple, I was taken back, it was like being transported to a tropical island somewhere. I went to Thailand a few years ago and the image of the laying on the golden sands on Koh Samet with the tranquil, clear, blue ocean in front of me came to mind. Try the recipe out; it most definitely is like tropical paradise on a plate. I can imagine myself making this recipe again in the cold winter days as it has that lovely warming and wholesome quality to it, and it's at those times which you need the exotic escape the most. 



Preparation time: 35 mins
Serves: 2-4 people (depending on the portion size)

Ingredients:

Rice Pudding
100g pudding rice
1 pint (568ml) milk
150ml coconut milk
1tbsp butter
2tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp desiccated coconut to garnish (I used unsweetened but you can also use sweetened)

Caramelised Pineapple
A few slices of cut pineapple (I used fresh pineapple for better flavour, but I guess you could use tinned)
2tbsp soft brown sugar
1tbsp butter

Method:

Rice Pudding
1. Add the milk and pudding rice to a pan and bring to the boil. Once boiling add the coconut milk.
2. Keep stirring occasionally. The rice should cook and the milk should thicken. 
3. Add the sugar and butter when the rice is nearly done, and stir in. 
4. Once the rice is fully cooked serve in bowls and garnish with a sprinkling of desiccated coconut. 

Caramelised Pineapple


1.Melt the butter on a saucepan. 
2. Add the brown sugar and heat till it is bubbling (it looks a little foamy)
3. Add the pineapple slices and pan fry them. Make sure that you cook the pineapple on both sides for a few seconds. 
4. Serve immediately on top of the warm rice pudding.

Notes:
You can add as much or as little sugar as you want to suit your tastes. Try adding palm sugar if you have it, as I am sure that it would go well with the flavours already in this recipe.


A post from FullestofLife



© Fullest Part of Life

No comments:

Post a Comment