Wednesday 24 August 2011

Clotted Cream Fudge


I had a go at making fudge as a request by my sister. I have tried to make fudge once before a few years ago, however it didn't turn out too well as it ended up being too crystallised and it was consequently binned so I was put off making it again for a while. When my sister asked me to make it for her just this week tried to find a different recipe and I came across so many, each using different ingredients. The two main ingredients to fudge are sugar and milk. The milk can be in different forms such as cream, condensed milk and evaporated milk. However I remembered the best fudge I have eaten which was in Cornwall and the secret ingredient in that was clotted cream; Cornish clotted cream fudge was at every souvenir shop there. Therefore I found a recipe containing clotted cream. You can find many different flavours of fudge, and I was tempted to try a different flavour, however  I decided that I needed to find a good recipe which works before I started experimenting with flavours. The recipe which I used turned out to be perfect. I was surprised at how well it turned out and I think my sister was as well. I was also apprehensive at first as you need a sugar thermometer to make fudge, however I didn't have one so I had to rely on my judgement and considering previous experience I struck lucky this time. It is very easy for it to all go wrong when making fudge as the temperature and consistency needs to be precise, but if successful you will be rewarded with the ultimate sugary treat to satisfy any sweet tooth.

I know that I would definitely make this recipe again, and next time I would try out a different flavour such as chocolate or add nuts to it. I also think that it is a great gift idea, if packaged nicely and with ribbons it can make a special edible gift with a more personal touch which I know I would love to receive myself.


Ingredients:

200ml clotted cream
100ml golden syrup
250g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
1. Add all the ingredients to a saucepan and mix together. 


2. Heat the mixture on a low heat and keep stirring. The sugar should dissolve. Once the mixture is boiling cover the saucepan with a lid for around 2-3 minutes. Then remove the lid and continue to boil and stir the mixture.


Make sure that you keep a close eye on the fudge at this point as it is the most crucial part. 

3. Stir the mixture until the temperature reaches 116C on a sugar thermometer (it took me around 10-15minutes). Or if you don't have one, use the balling method;  drop some fudge into a bowl of cold water and it should form balls- use your judgement, the fudge shouldn't be too runny or too hard.

4. Once it is at the correct consistency it should be like honey and have a dark golden colour. Remove from the heat. 

5. Beat the fudge till it starts to thicken as it cools. The consistency will change completely from a runny mixture to something more like play dough. It also changes from a glossy to a mat finish.
 

5. Once it has a more dough like consistency place the fudge in a greased baking tin and flatten down. I lined the tin with baking paper instead to make it easier to remove the fudge. You can use what ever size tin you want as depending on the shape and thickness of the fudge you want. I used a loaf tin and found it was the ideal size.

6. Leave to cool for around 30mins, then score the fudge into pieces. Leave to cool for a few hours after this.

Note:
This recipe was enough to make just one loaf tin, you may want to double the recipe if you want to make more.

Recipe adapted from the Good Food Channel

A post by Fullest of Life

3 comments:

  1. what is clotted cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how step 5 doesn't state how long you need to beat the mixture for �� however I now have muscles �� the size of poppy's ��

    ReplyDelete