Tuesday 12 July 2011

Emmalily’s Moist Aubergine Dark Chocolate Brownies



Just as amazing and ‘rich’ in flavour as any other ‘best brownie’ recipe you know.
But it’s healthy: no margarine/butter or flour!  The aubergine and eggs holds the structure.  Definitely a surprising recipe – and it only took me 1 hour from start to finish!

Serves 8 people – satisfying whatever huge chocolate craving!

Ingredients:

1 (266g) aubergine
200g good dark chocolate (Possible modification: 150g)
35g cocoa powder
40g ground almonds
1 tsp of almond extract (Possible modification: 2 tsp)
2 medium eggs
125g clear honey
(Optional 1 tbsp brandy)

Method:

1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F. Line a baking tin with baking paper or foil, a loaf tin was used here.

2. Cut and discard the stem of the aubergine off.

3.  Stab the aubergine a few times, put in a covered bowl and microwave for 8 minutes.

4. Slip/shave the skin off (be careful, it’s hot!).

5. Throw the dark chocolate into the bowl with the aubergine, where it will melt.  Mash/blend it into a puree.  Set aside.

6. Whisk the rest of the ingredients together (cocoa powder, ground almonds, eggs, honey), then mix in the chocolate and aubergine.

7.  Place int the oven. It took 40 minutes to bake, and it was just right.  (Ovens may vary, so keep checking from 30-50 mins.  Put a toothpick into it, so that it comes out clean or almost clean.)

8. Leave to cool in the tin for ~20 minutes.  It’s even lusher when it’s completely cooled.  I served mine the next day and it was very moist and chocolatey.

Modifications: 

1. If I was to modify the recipe, I would use less dark chocolate.  It was a very chocolately brownie, and my guests said it was just right, but I don’t like too rich cakes.  I found that just one square (5x5cm) was satisfyingly enough (and I have a big chocolate capacity).  So I think about 150g dark chocolate would be about right.  

2. Another modification is that I would add a bit more almond extract – maybe just 1 more tsp – just to give it more of an aroma.  Also because almond extract really compliments dark chocolate.  

I bought a 200g dark chocolate bar from Lidl for 99p - the cheapest and good quality chocolate that I have found thus far.  

This recipe was adapted from Norfolk Kitchen Blogspot, but I only had ONE aubergine, so I adapted the amount of ingredients appropriately, and also made some other modifications. 

            
A post from Emmalily.

No comments:

Post a Comment